- Departments & Offices
- Marriage Licenses
To obtain a marriage license in Van Buren County, apply at the County Clerk's Office, at the Courthouse, 212 Paw Paw Street. Marriage license applications are accepted from 8:30 am. Until 4:30 pm.
- Customers may begin the application process online at https://clerk.vanburencountymi.gov/
- Men and women 18 years of age and older may contract marriage in Michigan without parents' consent.
- For purposes of marriage application, residency is determined by a current valid driver's license/state-issued ID with current address listed:
- If one, or both persons is a Michigan resident they apply in the county where either applicant lives. This license is valid throughout the state.
- If both persons are out-of-state residents, they must apply in the county where they plan to be married. The license is valid in that county only.
- The following is required of both persons at the time of application:
- Valid driver's license/state issued I.D. showing correct address
- Certified copy of Birth Certificates
- Other required information includes:
- Full name of each person
- Birth dates and place of birth (city and state)
- Complete address (no P.O. Boxes)
- How many times previously married
- Social Security Numbers
- Parents full birth names
- Parents states of birth
- 4. Fee per couple: $20 for Van Buren County residents; $30 for Out-of-state residents.
Payments for Van Buren County residents must be made in cash.
- The marriage license becomes valid on the 3rd day following application.
- The marriage must be solemnized within 33 days of application.
- Persons 16 and 17 years of age must show a certified copy of their birth certificate. Written consent of one parent or legal guardian, who must appear at the time of application, will be required. A driver's license or photo ID of the consenting parent is required. If parents are divorced, custodianship must be proven, and a driver's license or photo ID must be shown by the custodial parent.
- Additional information or documentation may be required before this office will complete the marriage license application.