- Court Resources
- COVID-19 Resources
- Family Resources
- Employment Resources
- Legal Help Resources
- Outside Agency Resources
Friend of the Court Handbook 2017
The purpose of this handbook (PDF) is to provide information about Friend of the Court (FOC) responsibilities to persons who have family division domestic relations cases. This handbook also outlines the basic responsibilities of parties. Any questions about procedures or requirements outlined in this handbook may be discussed with an employee of your local FOC or with the attorney of your choice.
While required by law, this handbook is not a legal document and is not intended to provide legal advice to you. Nothing in this handbook changes local rules or the laws of the State of Michigan, or the written requirements in your court orders. Similarly, while FOC employees will attempt to explain matters contained in this handbook, they are not allowed to give legal advice and nothing they say will change existing rules or law.
- Language Access Plan (LAP) (PDF)
- Language Access Plan Coordinator (PDF)
- State Court Administrative Office - Interpreter Information
To view these statutes, visit the Michigan Legislature:
- Child Custody Act- MCL 722.21
- Family Support Act- MCL 552.451
- Friend of the Court Act- MCL 522.501
- Paternity Act- MCL 722.711
- Regarding Travel in Foreign Countries- MCL 722.27A(9)
- Support and Parenting Time Enforcement Act- MCL 552.601
- Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act- MCL 722.1101
- Uniform Interstate Family Support Act- MCL 552.1101
Publications (Brochures & Handbooks) from the State Court Administrative Office/ Friend of the Court Bureau
- An Employer's Guide to Income Withholding (PDF)
- Child Support and Military Families (PDF)
- Enforcement of Domestic Relations Orders (PDF)
- Facts About the Michigan Child Support Formula (PDF)
- Information About Using Liens to Obtain Past Due Support (PDF)
- Resolving Custody Parenting Time and Support Disputes without Trial (PDF)
- Show Cause Proceedings in Domestic Relations Cases (PDF)
- Tax Refund Offset Program (PDF)
- The Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA) (PDF)
- Unemployment Resources: How to Modify Your Child Support Amount (PDF)
- What it Means to Represent Yourself in a Domestic Relations Matter (PDF)
- 24/7 Dad (PDF): An evidence-based curriculum designed by the National Fatherhood Initiative® to teach fathers to be involved, responsible and committed to their children twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. Core areas of focus are self-awareness, caring for self, fathering skills, parenting skills, and relationship skills. Information on Fall - 2023 classes will be coming soon!
- Do It For The Kids Workshop for Moms (PDF): A workshop that utilizes the Understanding Dad curriculum to assist Moms to become more knowledgeable, confident and skillful in engaging in successful co-parenting relationships with their child(ren)’s father. This class is offered online via Zoom. Classes are on Wednesdays from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., starting October 25, 2023. Email Amanda Hoefle at [email protected] for more information!
- Car Seat Safety Program: car seats can be offered free of charge to parents receiving state assistance or to foster care providers. Contact the Friend of the Court Office at 269-657-7734 for more information.
- The Porch & Lydia's Closet (PDF): Food and clothing pantries.
- The Laundry Project : Free Laundry Day
- MSU HEP (PDF): The High School Equvalency Program (HEP) is a secondary education program designed for migrant and seasonal farmworkers.
- MSU HEP (PDF): El Programa Equivalente a Educación Secundaria (HEP) es un programa de educación secundaria diseñado para los trabajadores agrícolas migrantes y de temporada.
- Ask Yourself: A Domestic & Sexual Violence Prevention & Resource Guide (PDF)
- Movin' On: A Resource Guide for Young Adults (PDF)
- Your Child: A Guide to Your Child's Health and Safety (PDF)
- 8 tips for Book Reading with Young Children (PDF)
- Family Engagement Activities (PDF)
- Daily, Weekly, and Monthly Rituals to Ground Your Family (PDF)
- Free Educational Websites for Kids (PDF)
- Encouraging Words for Your Child (PDF)
- Counterfeit Pills Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Michigan State University Extension Health Programs (PDF)
This is not a complete list of all Van Buren County attorneys. You may find additional attorneys in your Yellow Pages, or you may qualify for Western Michigan Legal Services. The Friend of the Court does not recommend any particular attorney.
- Child Protective Services: If you suspect abuse or neglect, call 855-444-3911 any time. This is a 24 hour line that allows you to report abuse or neglect of any child or adult to the Michigan Department of Human Services.
- Mental Health Resources (PDF)
- Northwest Michigan Community Action Agency: Food, clothing, laundry, early childhood, housing, home improvement, and financial resources.
- Community Services Resource Plan (PDF)
- Daily Recover Zone: A place for those who are entering into the recovery community.
- Michigan Prevention Network: network to support and expand community substance abuse prevention.
- Domestic Violence Coalition
- MiBridges Benefits Login
- Office of Child Care
- Southwestern Michigan Migrant Resource Council
- Tri-County Head Start
- Van Buren Community Mental Health
- Van Buren County Resource Guide (PDF)
- Van Buren County Suicide Prevention Coalition
- Van Buren Intermediate School District