- Court Resources
- COVID-19 Resources
- Family Resources
- Employment Resources
- Legal Help Resources
- Outside Agency Resources
Friend of the Court Handbook 2017
The purpose of this handbook (PDF) is to provide information about Friend of the Court (FOC) responsibilities to persons who have family division domestic relations cases. This handbook also outlines the basic responsibilities of parties. Any questions about procedures or requirements outlined in this handbook may be discussed with an employee of your local FOC or with the attorney of your choice.
While required by law, this handbook is not a legal document and is not intended to provide legal advice to you. Nothing in this handbook changes local rules or the laws of the State of Michigan, or the written requirements in your court orders. Similarly, while FOC employees will attempt to explain matters contained in this handbook, they are not allowed to give legal advice and nothing they say will change existing rules or law.
- Language Access Plan (LAP) (PDF)
- Language Access Plan Coordinator (PDF)
- State Court Administrative Office - Interpreter Information
To view these statutes, visit the Michigan Legislature:
- Child Custody Act- MCL 722.21
- Family Support Act- MCL 552.451
- Friend of the Court Act- MCL 522.501
- Paternity Act- MCL 722.711
- Regarding Travel in Foreign Countries- MCL 722.27A(9)
- Support and Parenting Time Enforcement Act- MCL 552.601
- Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act- MCL 722.1101
- Uniform Interstate Family Support Act- MCL 552.1101
Publications (Brochures & Handbooks) from the State Court Administrative Office/ Friend of the Court Bureau
- An Employer's Guide to Income Withholding (PDF)
- Child Support and Military Families (PDF)
- Enforcement of Domestic Relations Orders (PDF)
- Facts About the Michigan Child Support Formula (PDF)
- Information About Using Liens to Obtain Past Due Support (PDF)
- Resolving Custody Parenting Time and Support Disputes without Trial (PDF)
- Show Cause Proceedings in Domestic Relations Cases (PDF)
- Tax Refund Offset Program (PDF)
- The Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA) (PDF)
- Unemployment Resources: How to Modify Your Child Support Amount (PDF)
- What it Means to Represent Yourself in a Domestic Relations Matter (PDF)
- 24/7 Dad (PDF): The current offering started September 20, 2021.
- Do It For The Kids Workshop for Mom (PDF): Our next session begins soon! Register today.
- Fire Safety Fun Night
- Medication Collection Site
- The Porch: providing fresh fruit, vegetables, and bread to anyone in need
- Operation Warm Up: providing free coats to those in need
- Mobile Food Pantry October 11th. and November 15th.
- Parent & Caregiver Connections Group (PDF)
- Developing Early Literacy Skills workshop (PDF)
- Parenting Hour (PDF): online series of parenting workshops will provide guidance for parents of young children as they navigate the
challenges, concerns, and joys of parenting.
- Essential Skills for Learning & Life (PDF): learn about social emotional intelligence, the critical skills children need to learn.
- Co-parenting workshop (PDF)
- Positive Discipline workshop (PDF)
- How Children Develop workshop (PDF)
- Young at Art workshop (PDF)
- Highly Successful Parenting webinar series (PDF)
- Parent Talk System webinar series (PDF): improve communication and provide practical verbal strategies for raising confident, caring, responsible children.
- Renters Assistance Program
- 8 Tips for Book Reading with Young Children (PDF)
- Family Engagement Activities (PDF)
- Daily, Weekly, and Monthly Rituals to Ground Your Family (PDF)
- Free Educational Websites for Kids (PDF)
- Encouraging Words for Your Child (PDF)
- Counterfeit Pills Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Michigan State University Extension Health Programs (PDF)
- Great Start Collaborative - Van Buren County
- National Responsible Fatherhood Clearinghouse: This website contains helpful information for parents about building strong families and healthy relationships, supporting your child in school, personal resilience, and having fun with your child
- Up To Parents: Up to Parents is designed for divorcing and divorced parents
- Michigan Alliance for Families: provides information, support, and education for families who have children and young adults who receive, or may be eligible to receive, special education services.
- Michigan Alliance for Families Upcoming Events: Learning Opportunities
- Public Transit
This is not a complete list of all Van Buren County attorneys. You may find additional attorneys in your Yellow Pages, or you may qualify for Western Michigan Legal Services. The Friend of the Court does not recommend any particular attorney.
- Child Protective Services: If you suspect abuse or neglect, call 855-444-3911 any time. This is a 24 hour line that allows you to report abuse or neglect of any child or adult to the Michigan Department of Human Services.
- Community Services Resource Plan (PDF)
- Daily Recover Zone: A place for those who are entering into the recovery community.
- Domestic Violence Coalition
- MiBridges Benefits Login
- Office of Child Care
- Southwestern Michigan Migrant Resource Council
- Tri-County Head Start
- Van Buren Community Mental Health
- Van Buren County Resource Guide (PDF)
- Van Buren County Suicide Prevention Coalition
- Van Buren Intermediate School District