Van-Cass Intercounty Drain - Bankson Lake
January 2024 Progress - Work Completed to Date:
A) Field Work:
1. Wetland Delineation downstream of Bankson Lake was required by EGLE and completed during
the late summer of 2023.
2. Additional topographic survey along the proposed alignment.
3. Streamside Ecological data collection:
a. Invasive Species:
i. Eurasian Water Milfoil, Carolina Fanwort, and Purple Loosestrife. All species are known to exist downstream in the St. Joseph River watershed.
ii. Evidence of zebra mussels (live or dead) was not found.
iii. Several other invasives were located downstream and include reed canary grass and phragmites.
b. Water and DO Monitoring: The monitors were collected at the very end of July.
B) USFWS IPaC: EGLE requested that we utilize the USFWS IPac system to evaluate potential
impacts to threatened or endangered species.
1. We were prompted through this process to specifically evaluate this projects impact to the Mitchell’s Satyr Butterfly as well as other species listed out in EGLE’s pre application meeting letter.
2. USFWS said impacts to the Mitchell’s Satyr due to proposed project were expected to be
insignificant or discountable.
C) Easements: Provided easement exhibits to FSBR – working through FSBR’s requested
1. Nine (9) permanent easements required.
2. Two (2) temporary easements for leveling spoils.
D) Preliminary Design is completed and ready for EGLE permit submission.
1. Authorization from Board to submit EGLE Permit. January 26, 2024
2023 Progress Report:
January 30, 2023, Preapplication Meeting with EGLE
March 21, 2023, Follow up notification, EGLE Preapplication Meeting
Our next step is to collect and analyze the additional ecological / water quality data that EGLE/DNR has requested. The following tasks will be conducted by the LRE / Streamside Ecological Services team throughout the spring / summer.
- Conduct a wetland delineation along the proposed Drain extension alignment.
- Desktop review documenting existing wetlands around Bankson Lake.
- Review / summarize previous water quality reports for Bankson Lake.
- Conduct a zebra mussel survey within Bankson Lake.
- Document invasive species and water quality conditions in the Drain and compare to previous reports for Bankson Lake.
- Install data loggers to monitor water temperature and dissolved oxygen levels in Bankson Lake and the Drain.
In addition, LRE will be collecting additional topographic survey along the proposed drain alignment, including the mapping of existing wetlands. Submittal of the EGLE permit application and requests for drainage easement requests will not begin until later this year and likely continue into 2024.
**Please take notice that all property owners within Porter Township were noticed for the re-hearing of necessity the Van-Cass ICD. Not all property owners within Porter Township are in the Drainage District or will receive an assessment if a project occurs. Rather only those in within the boundaries on the attached map are affected. The notice was sent to everyone in the district as a result of claims that some individuals within the drainage district were not receiving notice and that the previous mailing list was deficient in terms of updated addresses. For this mailing we requested updated addresses for the Porter Township parcels and received the entire Porter township mailing list in PDF’d label form from the township. To ensure timely delivery of notices and to save costs cross referencing the pdf label list from the township and previous mailing list, the mailing notice was sent to all properties within the township.
- Churchill Appeal – 12.21.2021 Rehearing of Necessity Record
- Township Appeal – 12.21.2021 Rehearing of Necessity Record
- Exhibit 1-M
- Exhibit 10 @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>